Saturday, March 18, 2006

Better The Loco-Motion You Know?

Rain falling down
Another minute passes by
I wait for you
But this time I won't cry
Where are you now?
Are you with another love?
It's not the first time
You stood me up and let me down


I was listening to my ‘Fun Good Times’ playlist on my mp3 player last night at Anstey station while I was waiting to get into the city, and this song (‘Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi’ by Kylie Minogue) began playing. As I strained my eyes in the darkness to see if a train was finally coming, I realised that this tune is practically the anthem of the Upfield line. It treats me so badly: the trains are so often late when I need them, sometimes they never show up at all, they keep me waiting in the rain and cold, they never call to say when they've been held up; but I put up with it all. I don’t need to take the shit the Upfield line deals out to me; there are three different trams I could catch to the city instead, but I still go back for more… WHY??? I guess Kylie found herself in a similar predicament, but with a person instead of a train (or, at least, Stock, Aitken and Waterman did). The horribly conflicting emotions one experiences at the hands of a heartless lover (or, indeed, train) are summarised so perfectly and with such poignancy in the chorus:

I, I, I'm wondering why
I still love you
Je ne sais pas pourquoi
I still want you
Je ne sais pas pourquoi


Basically, both Kylie and I are at a loss as to why we let ourselves be treated this way... And putting it in French just makes it all the more affecting. It’s pretty powerful stuff. I’m not ashamed to say that a tear slid down my cheek as I sighed and checked my watch for the hundredth time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Ha! Meaningful interpretation of nugatory pop music earns you a gold star, Alex. Unfortunately, my own affair with a Connex train took a rather more literal turn, and now an injunction order forbids me from riding public transport...in any fashion.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, I just wrote these lyrics about an argument with my late-arriving train driver. If someone can come up with a punchy guitar riff to go with it, I think we could have a hit on our hands:

"I say don't you know?
You say you don't know
I say take me out
I say you don't show
Don't move, time is slow
I say take me out
I say you don't know
You say you don't go
I say take me out
If I move, this could die
Eyes move, this could die
I want you to take me out
I know I won't be leaving here
With you"

8:33 PM  
Blogger ManicLovely said...

Learn to drive.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Martie said...

I have no comparisons to this song and trains, but this is my favourite Kylie song evs.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home