Monday, December 19, 2005

Monday 19 December

60kg, alcohol units 0, cigarettes 0, calories ?? (who counts their calorie intake?), cola units 3 (bad), minutes spent listening to Depeche Mode 67.

Realised I have turned into some kind of Bridget Jones type figure. Am going slowly insane due to holiday-related boredom. Sit at home all-day and feel badly about all the crappy food I eat (only for reasons of health, I'm not actually concerned about how much I weigh). I, like Ms. Jones, made a list of resolutions (well, in my case, sort of more a list of holiday goals) and they were as follows: (by the way, minutes spent trying to find my holiday goals list on my desk 23)

-Work a lot and earn some cash so I can part-ay (unfortunately my job at Metlink has ceased until next year, so will have to look for a job if I want money. Odds of this occurring slim.)

-Make a zine with my pal Jess (Jess recently disappeared to Tasmania, so not sure when our co-production will begin...)

-Learn how to play the harmonica (funny story... kinda. Got a harmonica for my birthday from a very sweet friend who heard me talking about how I wanted to take it up, and wisely guessed that I was going to need some help getting the ball rolling. The day after I got it, attempted to figure out a Shakira song by ear (her CD was a gag gift from another friend) on my own, got confused about straight harp and cross harp, and chucked it in telling myself I would get myself a "Teach Yourself Harmonica" book. That was in May. This X-mas I am anticipating a "Teach Yourself Harmonica" book as a present from another friend, so hopefully 6 months later I will actually get on to learning the harmonica. I SUCK!)

-Learn how to skateboard (as a child I always thought skaters were the coolest people ever. I grew up and realised they are mostly cock-heads, but the desire to be one has not faded. However, still haven't actually gotten around to buying the board.)

-Write at least one blog entry per week (HA!!!)

-Volunteer at a soup kitchen (this will happen. Even if I never do learn to skate, I will volunteer somewhere if it kills me!)

-Join a refugee action group (see above.)

-Play frisbee (what was I smoking when I thought this would make me a better person??)

-Build on vinyl collection (see above.)

However as you can see, I, like Ms. Jones, am having trouble actually getting these things done. The only goal I have attained thus far is my one to build on my vinyl collection (records that is, not cat-suits. Get your mind out of the gutter). However, the progress made to this end has been to purchase $30 worth of utter shame and degradation, including 'Wow' by Bananarama, 'Enjoy Yourself' by Kylie Minogue, 'Waves' by Katrina and the Waves, 'Whitney' by Whitney Houston, 'Fore' by Huey Lewis and the News (this is potentially the most embarrassing thing I have ever purchased in my entire life), and some lame compilation of songs from 80s' movies, which I bought because it has 'Axel F' from 'Beverly Hills Cop'. (Can't believe I just committed all that to writing. Feeling overwhelming urge to confess more; have recently started buying 2nd-hand cassettes (!) and actually paid a whole dollar for a copy of the 'St. Elmo's Fire' soundtrack (let it be known that I hate that fucking movie), and someone's homemade tape which featured New Order and Ultravox on one side and Devo on the other.)

In case you can't tell, I recently read 'Bridget Jones' Diary', which made me feel bad because it is pretty trashy and I wanted to read to broaden my mind these holidays (another one of my stupid goals). Ah, well. Will start reading 'The Crisis of American Democracy' tomorrow, in an attempt at absolution.

13 Comments:

Blogger ManicLovely said...

Awww smellex! Dont worry, Svet will fill your life with crap so it seems like youre busy but you actually just feel empty.
Remember what you always say when i invite you to something shite?
"Well ok Svet, if I dont get any better offers."
And somehow youre always there.
See you Tuesday!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Devo are pretty worthwhile though. I mean, they wore flower pots on their heads as a social statement about... something or other.

1:31 PM  
Blogger divinetrash said...

About the importance of adequate drainage in plant containers? And the importance of whipping it good?

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, keep paying money for homemade cassettes and you'll soon wind up at a soup kitchen, one way or another :)

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they were protesting the restriction forced upon household pot plants... or their lack of satisfaction.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or, you could go for the nouvelle vague version of 'love will tear us apart' ... sung by a breathy French girl who can't actually speak english *gold*

ooh ... i just commented on a blog *cringe*

1:08 AM  
Blogger divinetrash said...

Droog, darling, I'm sure you just lost some scene points by deigning to comment on my blog. For shame!

Good idea, Dollop. That's sure to send me into a downward spiral. Yay!

No more barbs out of you, ns; you're breaking my heart.

Anonymous, as usual I think you may be on to something. And like my mother always says; it's impossible to read too much into Devo.

2:59 AM  
Blogger divinetrash said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:08 PM  
Blogger divinetrash said...

Now, now, you little minx. I think the fact that I felt most ashamed about Huey et. al. is because I don't actually really like him at all, and he just seems like such a middle-aged, loser puss. With the other people, I have accepted that I like them, y'know? I've come to terms with it and moved on. He was such a bargain though that I couldn't resist.

Kylie is probably actually the worst one of the set, but I adored her when I was a kid and I like to reminisce. Unfortunately, I can't explain away the others that way.

By the way, this entry is supposed to be vaguely in the style of a Bridget Jones entry. Realised just now that probably no one except me is getting the joke, as you all seem to be a little too intelligent to have read it.

11:45 PM  
Blogger TimT said...

Me, too - I've read it. It's hilarious!

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. I've read it too... and afterwards the word "I" left my vocabulary for a couple of months.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous How To Play Blackjacks said...

The matchless message, is interesting to me :)

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Enoch said...

I found a lot of effective data above!
yellowknife

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home