Saturday, September 23, 2006

Hook Is Not a Dirty Word

OK, well, it can be a dirty word if you're talking about bondage. But, then again, if you're talking about bondage, you can probably expect the conversation to get dirty at some point. (In case you were wondering, the device pictured is called the nose hook and you can pick one up at your local hardware store or Hell Fire Club gift shop.)


Angelina Jolie's typical Sunday night at home: a couple of DVDs, a bottle of red and a tail hook.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk to you about hooks from which to hang human flesh. I'm not that desperate for readers. (Yet.) Instead, I want to talk about hooks in popular music, or rather, the serious lack of them these days. The hook is the catchy part of the song, usually in the chorus, that sucks you in and gets stuck in your head, no matter how bad the tune itself is. A good hook can make a song. Some tunes are even built on them. For instance, there really isn’t much else to Crazy In Love except for the winning combination of the looped sample from the Chi-Lites' Are You My Woman and Beyoncé’s provocative vocals; the rest of the song is just filler crap. And yet who among us doesn’t want to wiggle their tush when they hear it? Such is the awesome power of the hook. However, recently it seems as though it's all too easy for songwriters to get away without even bothering to include this vital element of the pop tune. And what the fuck is up with that? Surely the hook is one of the few reasons to listen to pop music. I, for one, don't want to live in a world without it.

What the fuck are you talking about?” I hear you cry. You want specific examples, do you? Well, it pains me to be so Today Tonight about the whole enterprise, but it seems that there’s nothing for it except a good ol' fashioned NAME AND SHAME. Here are a bunch of songs I've heard recently that have driven me to despair with their lack of hook content:

Say Somethin' - Mariah Carey
Call On Me - Janet Jackson
Ain't No Other Man - Christina Aguilera
Maneater - Nelly Furtado
Hips Don't Lie - Shakira
I Want To Be A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair) - Sandi Thom
Sexyback - Justin Timberlake

As far as I’m concerned, these singers are sending a big "FUCK YOU!" to the pop music buying public, albeit in different guises. Sometimes it’s part of an oh-so contrived attempt at pop progressiveness. In this instance, the message is "I'm pushing boundaries and taking pop music to a new frontier. I don't need to make my music fun to listen to because I'm an artiste now..." Justin and Christina, I'm looking at you. (Meanwhile, who knew ex-Mouseketeers were capable of taking themselves so seriously?) Sometimes, songwriters don’t even bother to dress-up their laziness, they just lay it out there with a sheepish shrug and a wan smile. While we’re on the subject, here’s a little message to Mariah and Janet: no one expects either of you to reinvent the wheel but could you at least try to pretend that you’re not releasing simply music in order to support your drug habit? I really don’t think it’s too much to ask.

So, party people, it's time to put yo' hands in the air. Am I going crazy? Is this trend more prevalent lately than it has been in the past? Are there any songs that you want to NAME AND SHAME? So many questions, so few readers!



Bring back the hook, me hearties!

8 Comments:

Blogger ManicLovely said...

I hear ya! Pop music is so un-poppy lately. It's because of the white girl tries r&b thing. They think if they have alot of bass, hiss sounds and "uh" 'uh" lyrics they can avoid a hook altogether.

BTW, the other Hook (Peter Hook) was awesome to the maximus at Parklife, wished you were there.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's plenty of dreary slow jam or urban contemporary "race music" (Pitchfork's term) that you can turn on and forget to breathe to, but the problem also afflicts guitar bands like Bloc Party and the Arctic Monkeys (whom I'm not obsesssed with).

As far as I'm concerned, the problem - like most modern societal ills - can ultimately be traced back to the combined influence of James Brown and Pink Floyd.

10:29 PM  
Blogger divinetrash said...

Daniel: Sweet Jesus, Chris Cornell was allowed to write a Bond theme?! That used to be a job reserved for musical genii like Duran Duran. Sheesh. Meanwhile, I'm so glad to have a part-time musicologist on my side. I greatly respect your vast knowledge of all things musical, though I dispute your labelling of Lou Bega, the Cardigans, and Seal as "one hit wonders". That said, you know I can honestly say that I'm still friends with you after your comment. In fact, I've never felt closer to you now that I know you're a closet 90s' pop lover. And please don't apologise for leaving a long comment! I loved it! I spent a long time saying "Awwww, I love Daniel" to Nick after I read it. I think he's a bit worried now.

Svet: Haha, funny you should mention Peter Hook, because I had a picture of him waiting to go up with this post as an illustration of a "good hook" (and, man, did he ever write some good bass hooks for NO). But you know what Blogger can be like when you try to post a picture! I was lucky to get my bondage and pirate hooks up!

Lucy: You may well be on to something, Luce. Although, people have been using physical appearance to sell music for a long time, and videos have been pretty sexually exploitative since the advent of MTV. But I agree that things are definitely taking a turn for the worse. Hopefully Sandi Thom will strip off and shake it all about in her next clip, or with such a horribly bland image and song she might find herself an oh-so gimmicky one hit wonder. And no one would be sadder than me if that was to happen >;-)

Nick: No, you're not obsessed with the Artic Monkeys, you're envious of them. And who wouldn't be envious of a bunch of spotty, gormless, English youths with boring music and worse videos?

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'd actually have more respect for the Mariahs and Janets of the world if they dropped the 'musician' facade altogether and instead placed advertisements in daily newspapers asking for money orders to be sent to a PO Box.

My bad tase and utter disregard for hooks disqualifies me from commenting on anything else in this post.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Daniel, it was a dismal attempt at humour. The trouble with trying for a laugh - however unsuccessfully - is that you tend to criticise things which are actually OK. I used to say only nice things, but there came a day when I decided, "No more Mr Nice Guy." That was when I was four.

To tell the truth, James Brown is among my favourite wife beaters (I do not say that lightly), and I often enjoy slipping on a Pink Floyd CD and downing some furniture polish. It makes my head swirl delightfully.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the surname "Brown" is an indication of being a wife beater. James Brown and Bobby Brown. Coincidence? I think not.

5:30 PM  
Blogger ChristinaChox said...

Blah! So many comments!
Perhaps we could combat this cultural backlash against hooks by replacing the metaphorical with the literal. Here's my plan:
1. Kidnap songwriters (pimps) and their performers (hos)
2. Cut off the the right hand of each ho and then replace it with an actual hook (like the one pictured in your post)
3. Make the pimps write hookless songs
4. Make the hos perform said hookless songs in soft-core video clips, girating and touching themselves, with their hooks-for-hands!
I effect, we should market the hooks-for-hands just as hooks-for-quality-song-writing have been for the past 30 years!
I'm totally gonna make millions out of this scheme. You want in?

We should totally market the

1:06 PM  
Blogger ChristinaChox said...

woops, poor editing. Sorry al.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home